This easy DIY sleep mask is the perfect beginner’s project. It requires minimal sewing and no cutting. How much easier can it get?
Whether you’re making this sleep mask for yourself, your mom, your daughter or a friend, you’re going to love its simplicity. Not to mention how adorable it is!
It also makes a great gift for birthdays, slumber parties, just because and Mother’s Day. I mean, what mom wouldn’t love a sleep mask for those rare afternoon naps?
I love that this sleep mask can be made in a variety of colors and it’s one size fits all.
This post contains affiliate links, which help compensate me to continue bringing you great recipes, projects, and tips at no extra cost to you.
It never occurred to me before how valuable a sleep mask could be. Well, I found out last year on a trip to visit our daughter in Italy.
Our seats happened to be right by the bathrooms, which is pretty handy when you need them, but not so much when you’re trying to sleep.
Those lights were pretty bright and shined right in my face. Long story short, I ended up paying way too much for an ugly airport sleep mask when I could have easily made a cute one for myself.
Sleep Mask Supplies
- Cricut Maker
- Cricut Access
- Sleep Mask design
- Cotton Fabric – I used a grey 100% cotton remnant I found at my local fabric store
- Everyday Iron-on in black – Perfect for anything that might ever need washing; it lasts for tons of washes!
- Washable Fabric Pen from Cricut
- Rotary and fine point blades – included with Cricut Maker
- 12×12 Cricut FabricGrip Mat
- Cricut StandardGrip Mat
- 1/4″ Elastic – color coordinated with the fabric – I used 12″ but you may need to use more/less
- Color-coordinating thread
- Sewing machine
- Iron or EasyPress 2 6×7
- Towel or EasyPress 2 8×10 Mat
Sleep Mask Instructions
- Wash and dry your fabric – no fabric softener, as this will cause your vinyl not to adhere properly
- Cut your fabric into a 12×12″ square so that it fits onto your 12×12 fabric mat
- Place fabric on fabric mat, wrong side up, using the brayer to make sure it’s smooth
- Place a 12×12 piece of Everyday Iron-on onto the standard grip mat, shiny side down
- Open my Sleep Mask design in Design Space
- Load slot A on your Cricut Maker with the fabric pen and slot B with the rotary blade
- Select your fabric (I selected medium cotton) and load the fabric mat into the Maker
- Follow the prompts to draw the sew lines and cut the fabric
- Here’s the tricky part – You will need to cancel the rest of the cut
- Select “make” in the project once again. Be sure to select “mirror” the vinyl
- Set your material to iron-on and follow the prompts
- Once you have all of your pieces cut, you are ready to sew
- Place your fabric pieces right side together and use a few pins to hold it into place
- Be sure to leave openings on either side of the mask so that you will be able to turn the mask right side out and attach the elastic
- Using an iron or the EasyPress2, press the mask so the edges are smooth
- Weed your vinyl
- Set your EasyPress2 at 315º (or iron at 330º)
- Press fabric for 5 seconds
- Position vinyl eyes on the mask
- Press for 30 seconds, flip over and press back for 15 seconds
- Warm peel protective covering
TIP: If the vinyl is not completely adhered, repeat process
Congratulations! You now have a fun DIY sleep mask that’s perfect for gift-giving or keeping for yourself!
Sleep Mask Alternate Instructions:
No Maker? No problem!
- Instead of cutting material, cut a pattern out of heavy cardstock and use it to cut your fabric.
- Pin sleep mask pieces right sides together and sew using a 1/4 – inch allowance
- Finish project following the rest of the instructions above.
No Cricut? No problem! Enter to win a pair of the Cricut ExploreAir 2! One for you and one for mom!
Are you ready to see more Cricut projects like my sleep mask? They are all perfect for Mother’s Day!
Be sure to come back each day this weel as more projects are added!