If you like the idea of your Hawaiian Pizza getting cozy with your favorite BBQ Chicken Pizza, give this recipe a try soon and enjoy the fantastic sweet and savory combination of flavors.
It’s already the month of March! Where are the days going?? Time is passing quickly, and I’m doing my best to enjoy them as they come and cram everything in that needs to be done as well. Between a busy 2 1/2 year old who always keeps me running, to my 17 year old who is now 5 months post his MCA ischemic stroke and recovering well but constantly needing to be run from one appointment to the next, plus work, being a single mom (though as always I must give credit to my amazing younger sister who moved in with our little family last summer and has kept me afloat throughout the past 6 months), and keeping up around the house – life is hectic.
So sometimes hectic life calls for pizza. And sometimes you can’t decide which type of pizza sounds best. My son wanted Hawaiian, and I had fresh diced pineapple in the refrigerator so that seemed good. But I also had a large package of chicken that needed to be used and BBQ Chicken Pizza is one of our favorites. So I thought hey, why not merge the two and see what happens?
This pizza is what happens. And it is fantastic and if you like sweet and savory, BBQ and pineapple, I hope you will give it a try soon. It’s chock full of vegetables and a trio of meats that results in a very satisfying combination.
A hybrid BBQ Chicken pizza merged with a Hawaiian pizza to give you the best of both worlds, sweet and savory and delicious!
Yields 1 pizza
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 packets (4 1/2 tsp) active yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBS oil
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup BBQ plus 1/2 cup BBQ (use your favorite)
- 1 4-oz can mushrooms, drained
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and diced into small pieces (red bell pepper is suggested)
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 3 large slices of thick cut bacon, diced into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple, in small bite sized pieces
- 8-oz Canadian bacon
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine sugar and water in the bowl of a stand mixer, sprinkle yeast over the top and combine until yeast is dissolved. Allow to sit for 5 - 10 minutes, or until yeast has proofed and mixture looks bubbly. Add in the oil, salt, and flour. Fit the stand mixer with a dough attachment and set to low speed and allow dough to combine.
- When all the flour has been incorporated and a soft dough is formed (add additional flour if dough is too sticky / tacky), remove dough from bowl and add a small amount of oil to the bottom. Replace dough, and cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Set in a warm place and allow to rise for 20 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large nonstick skillet heated over medium-high heat, add the bacon pieces and cook for about 1 minute or until they begin to release their grease. Add in the diced bell pepper and onion. Cook mixture for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly and turning the heat down if needed. Bacon should be slightly crisped and vegetables should be fairly tender.
- Add drained mushrooms, shredded chicken, and 3/4 cup BBQ sauce to the vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
- When the dough has risen, roll out to fit a large 16" pizza stone or pan.
- Spread 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over rolled out dough. Top with Canadian bacon rounds, then spread the vegetable and chicken mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle diced pineapple over the chicken mixture. Top with the shredded cheeses.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 - 20 minutes, or until dough is golden and cheeses are melted and starting to brown.
- Cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cutting board and slicing.
- Calories 3338
- Total Fat: 106 g 163.08%
- Saturated Fat: 48 g 240%
- Cholesterol: 302 mg 100.67%
- Sodium: 6064 mg 252.67%
- Potassium: 1738 mg 49.66%
- Total Carbohydrate: 421 g %
- Sugar: 9 g
- Protein: 178 g
- Vitamin A: 40.22%
- Calcium: 1708 mg 170.8%
- Iron: 27 mg 150%
Leave a Reply