Delicious chicken penne with tender-crisp asparagus smothered in a light cream sauce.
I’ve spoken of my
addiction love of pasta a few times now. My father is Italian, so we had it very regularly growing up. Every Sunday, my mom would make a fresh batch of sauce and we would have spaghetti for lunch after church. Then, the following Wednesday, she would reheat the left over sauce and we would have spaghetti for dinner.
Today I’m going to show you how to make Chicken Penne with Asparagus and Cream Sauce, and we’ll chat some more about pasta.
You’d think, after 18+ years of eating pasta in my parents home, I’d be sick of it. Nope, not even close. I honestly can’t get enough of the stuff. Let’s face it, there’s just so much you can do with pasta. That’s one of the things I love about it- it’s extremely versatile.
It’s a complex carb, which is the best fuel for your budding sports star, and quick and easy to make, so no stressing over being late for practice or the big game. Toss in a protein like chicken or fish and some fiber-filled veggies, and you’ve got yourself a complete meal the whole family will enjoy.
Why else do I love pasta so much? Well, it’s totally budget friendly, so no worrying about cost. Plus, there’s variety. Did you know that pasta comes in 3265 different shapes? OK, I’m totally exaggerating here, but it gets my point across, doesn’t it?
Delicious chicken penne with tender crisp asparagus smothered in a light cream sauce
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 oz. penne rigate
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup/4 oz. roughly chopped, mixed wild mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups/8 oz. asparagus, cut into 2” pieces
- 1/4 cup/2 oz. white wine
- 6 oz. shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup/4 oz. lowfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup/1/2 oz. shredded basil
- Cook the penne according to package directions; drain and reserve
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat
- Add the oil and sauté the mushrooms until softened and starting to brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds
- Add the asparagus and white wine; cover and cook until the asparagus is crisp-tender (about 2 minutes)
- Stir in the chicken, sour cream, and penne
- Salt and pepper to taste; stir in basil and serve
- Calories 1270
- Total Fat: 47 g 72.31%
- Saturated Fat: 20 g 100%
- Cholesterol: 180 mg 60%
- Sodium: 1054 mg 43.92%
- Potassium: 747 mg 21.34%
- Total Carbohydrate: 134 g %
- Sugar: 34 g
- Protein: 63 g
- Vitamin A: 60.62%
- Calcium: 290 mg 29%
- Iron: 14 mg 77.78%
Randi - Dukes and Duchesses says
Rachel @ Lines Across says
Meredith @ Wait Til Your Father Gets Home says
Sarah @ Becoming Martha says
Kelley Wilson says
Mary Beth @ Cupcakes and Crinoline says