25 fun and creative Christmas activities for the family that are inexpensive or free and easy ways to spend time with your loved ones.
With Christmas just a short time away, it’s easy to get caught up in the baking, cooking, decorating and shopping craziness of it all.
It’s also easy to forget what is most important in our lives. Our loved ones. I have compiled a list of fun Christmas activities to do for some family time. Of course, these could also be done with friends!
Pick and choose the ones you want to do or challenge your family to do them all!
25 Creative Christmas Activities
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights
- Go caroling
- Take dog/cat treats to an animal shelter
- Go ice skating
- Bake cookies for Santa with the kids – Try my stained glass sugar cookies!
- Take books to a children’s hospital
- Visit a retirement or nursing home
- Make dinner for families at a Ronald McDonald House
- Go sledding
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter
- Drink eggnog/hot cocoa – Make some fun chocolate marshmallow peppermint stir sticks to go with it!
- Go to church/mass
- Host a family and friends brunch – Be sure to check out these weekend worthy brunch ideas!
- Read Charles Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol’
- Adopt a family to buy presents for
- Make tamales
- Have each family member write a short paragraph for a family year-end letter
- Take a family photo
- The Twelve Days of Christmas (start on Dec 13th)
- Have appetizers for dinner on Christmas Eve with your kids (no major cooking involved!) They’ll love these tangy bourbon dogs
- Read the Christmas story from Luke 2:1-20
- Take baked goods to your local fire station
- On Christmas Eve have the kids each open one present (a pair of pj’s to wear that night!)
- Open a ‘family’ gift on Christmas Eve (like a game everyone can play that night)
- Have a baking party with family and friends where everyone gets to take home some goodies
What fun and creative Christmas activities for the family do you enjoy?
S. J. Loewen says
Julia @ Swirls and Spice says